Given the massive volume of ridiculous news stories revealing the travesties occurring in this country on a daily basis, I have decided to start regularly posting my thoughts on selected pieces each day. I will continue of course to produce lengthier more substantive pieces as well.
Without further ado, I present today’s Daily Quips:
As Pamela over at Atlas Shrugs highlights, AG Eric Holder gave his opinion on bringing KSM to justice in Manhattan, the site of his heinous crimes. Holder boldly asserted, “we need not cower in the face of this enemy. Our institutions are strong, our infrastructure is sturdy, our resolve is firm, and our people are ready.” In light of the remarks of government officials such as Henry Paulson: “It’s a safe banking system, a sound banking system. Our regulators are on top of it,” Barney Frank (on Fannie and Freddie): “I think we see entities that are fundamentally sound financially” and Barack Obama: “But I do have an unyielding belief that all people yearn for certain things: the ability to speak your mind and have a say in how you are governed, confidence in the rule of law and the equal administration of justice, government that is transparent and doesn’t steal from the people, the freedom to live as you choose. These are not just American ideas. They are human rights. And that is why we will support them everywhere,” all signs indicate that we should be running scared. If a bigwig politician tells you things are safe and sound, things naturally must be in awfully bad shape.
Obama said “if we keep on adding to the debt, even in the midst of this recovery, that at some point, people could lose confidence in the U.S. economy in a way that could actually lead to a double-dip recession.” Thank you captain obvious for the biggest understatement I have ever seen. First off, people are losing confidence in the USD and our economy as reflected in the rallies in foreign currencies and equity markets. Most importantly, the price of gold has been making new nominal highs on a daily basis. You think there might be consequences to quadrupling our deficit in less than a year of being President? You think there might be consequences to the fact that we have unfunded liabilities of over $100 trillion? The One may be the most enlightened President since George W. Bush.
The Press is doing everything they can to bring down Sarah Palin. Regardless of how you feel about her, and honestly I am not close to having fully formed a judgment about the woman, the hypocrisy of the media here is sickening. The double standard that the media employs when it comes to how they treat liberals versus conservatives, and in-particular wholesome middle-American female conservatives is abominable. The MSM has not fact-checked one thing about President Obama, yet they have repeatedly beaten Sarah Palin to death. I don’t care what your political leanings, the behavior of the media towards the former governor has been and continues to be beyond disgraceful.
POTUS Obama is “furious” about the leaks coming from the Afghanistan deliberations. I agree with him, these leaks are harmful to our troops. Almost as harmful as the fact that it is taking him MONTHS of playing with our soldiers’ lives to make a decision! Maybe if he had a firm grasp of the situation and acted accordingly there wouldn’t be time for all of these leaks. I am all for taking the time to make a prudent decision but something tells me Afghanistan is more about politics than national defense for this administration.
Barry Ritholtz over at the Big Picture illustrates why we are doomed for a long and painful Depression. The more you see the policies being enacted by this administration, and compare them to those of Hoover and FDR, the more you get the sense that this isn’t Barack Obama merely being naive, but actually intentionally trying to plunge us into the economic abyss.
1. Van Jones – Continuing in the line of moderate, sane czars prudently chosen by President Obama, we have this man:
It’s not as if Obama just surrounds himself with lefties. He goes for the most radical, vitriolic and just plain batty people. There is no real oversight over these aptly named czars, and this extra layer of government allows Obama free rein over the system of checks and balances. It is very telling that the people in our government who he has sole power to pick are the craziest and most destructive.
2. A White House report shows that H1N1 may kill 90,000 – I’m going to come out out right now and say that I don’t know how exactly the White House is going to play this, or what tactics they are going to use, but they are going to try to use this virus as a crisis to increase federal power. They can use it to sell national healthcare, or they can intervene with the states’ handling of an outbreak, or try something far more nefarious like using the flu to declare martial law and subvert our liberties. Right now, they are just releasing these reports to pave the way for increased intervention down the road.
3. NY AFL-CIO head named chairman of the NY Fed – I couldn’t believe this the first time I read it, but then again when you look at the big picture this makes perfect sense. The banking cartel needed to make amends for having their political brethren in important government positions. Labor is gaining inordinate power under the Obama administration and are probably the constituency that he is most banking on for his re-election in 2012. This move follows the strategy of the politicians to a tee – the government will do whatever it takes to bail out the moneyed interests and the union laborer’s interests, while screwing everyone else in-between. They bribe the moneyed interests to keep them paying the taxes to subsidize the poor. They bribe labor at the expense of the real capitalists and entrepreneurs who create labor’s jobs. The middle class and those who create the prosperity around us pay the price.
4. Eric Holder will pursue CIA interrogators – “Holder said that he realizes the move is controversial, but that it was the only responsible course to take. The decision does not reflect a sharp division between the Justice Department and the White House, government officials said, given the limits of the preliminary review and the respect that Obama says he maintains for the role of an independent attorney general.” I mean wow. First, what brilliant politics by Obama. He allows Holder to go after prosecuting members of the CIA because of the role of the “independent attorney general,” so he gets what he probably wanted all along but can always tell the critics that he is merely allowing for the proper separation of powers. Second, WTF is wrong with you Eric Holder. You go after the people that are doing their job to defend our country ex post, threatening the CIA and deterring anyone from ever joining the agency from this point forward, yet fail to go after members of the Black Panthers threatening to bludgeon people at the voting booths.
5. Obama on the Vineyard – The President always seems to come up smelling like roses. While the world goes to hell, and his party is taking bullets at townhalls (sometimes arguing that they should use bullets themselves), Mr. Obama gets to hit the links and sip on cocktails. Now I have absolutely no problem with President’s taking vacations (though it is garbage that they use taxpayer dollars to do so), as I understand that a “vacation” for a President is hardly a real vacation, and that their job is highly stressful all the time. That being said, imagine if a Republican President during a time like this when the country is running $9 trillion deficits over the next ten years (Barry’s guys were $2 trillion off on the math there mind you) and unemployment numbers are high decided to head to a ranch in Crawford or worse some lush pad out in Orange Country for some R&R. The media would be up in arms. But it seems that hypocrisy is the way of the world today. At least Obama should have the courtesy to invite some of his poor community organizing friends out to the 29-acre estate.